2021 Practical Assessment Tasks
The Practical Assessment Tasks (PATs) have been set in selected subjects by the Department of Basic Education (DBE) and in Sport and Exercise Science by the Independent Examinations Board. These PATs are part of the assessment requirements for the 2021 National Senior Certificate examinations as stipulated in the Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statement (CAPS) of each relevant subject. The PATs are assessed internally at schools and then moderated externally within the province.
The 18 Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statements subjects which contain a practical component all include a practical assessment task (PAT). These subjects are:
- AGRICULTURE: Agricultural Management Practices, Agricultural Technology
- ARTS: Dance Studies, Design, Dramatic Arts, Music, Visual Arts
- SCIENCES: Computer Applications Technology, Information Technology, Technical Sciences, Technical Mathematics
- SERVICES: Consumer Studies, Hospitality Studies, Tourism
- TECHNOLOGY: Civil Technology, Electrical Technology, Mechanical Technology and Engineering Graphics and Design
A practical assessment task (PAT) mark is a compulsory component of the final promotion mark for all candidates offering subjects that have a practical component and counts 25% (100 marks) of the end of the year examination mark. The PAT is implemented across the first three terms of the school year. This is broken down into different phases or a series of smaller activities that make up the PAT. The PAT allows for learners to be assessed on a regular basis during the school year and it also allows for the assessment of skills that cannot be assessed in a written format, e.g. test or examination. It is therefore important that schools ensure that all learners complete the practical assessment tasks within the stipulated period to ensure that learners are resulted at the end of the school year. The planning and execution of the PAT differs from subject to subject.